Housing Choice Voucher Wait List OPEN

Traverse City Housing Commission announces that the Housing Choice Voucher (HCV/Section 8 Rental Assistance) Program will begin accepting applications for its Wait List on Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 8:00 A.M.  Completed applications will be accepted until September 28, 2018 at 12:00 P.M.

The HCV Program has become a crucial part of the federal government’s efforts to address an ongoing national housing crisis through the private housing market.  As a direct result of this program, millions of low-income individuals and families can afford a decent and safe home.  We encourage anyone with an interest in the program to submit an application.  Due to the intense demand, it may take up to two years to receive a voucher which can be used in the following counties:  Grand Traverse, Antrim, Benzie, Kalkaska, Leelanau, and the northern portion of Wexford.

Applications and additional information may be obtained online at www.tchousing.org, by calling (231) 922-4915, or by visiting our office located at 150 Pine Street in Traverse City (8:00 A.M. to 4:30 P.M. Monday through Thursday and 8:00 A.M. to 12:00 P.M. on Fridays).


Spotlight: Orchardview Townhomes

The Traverse City Housing Commission is currently seeking applicants for our 3 & 4 bedroom townhome community wait list. All applicants will need to meet “minimum occupancy requirements” to initially quality for wait list (having enough family members to fill the unit size). Other requirements listed below….

Orchardview is a twenty (21) unit apartment community, consisting of 15 Three Bedroom, 5 Four Bedroom, and 2 Accessible units (3 & 2 br).  Orchardview is located off Carter Road in Leelanau County but is also within the city limits of Traverse City.

Residents at Orchardview are responsible for their natural gas, water and electricity.  All the townhouses are equipped with washer and dryer (both natural gas and electric) connections, a storage shed and a minimum of 1 ½ bathrooms.

If your family qualifies for housing at Orchardview, you will pay approximately 30% of your adjusted gross income for rent and utilities.  Families are eligible for consideration for residency at Orchardview if their income does not exceed:

3 People 4 People 5 People 6 People 7 People
   $ 49,200   $ 54,650   $ 59,050  $ 63,400   $ 67,600

Orchardview Application: Orchardview Application 4-08

Chainsaw Artist to Create Riverfront Sculpture at Riverview Terrace- Press Release

Press Release: Riverview Terrace Stump Carving Annoucement

Chainsaw Artist to Create Riverfront Sculpture at Riverview Terrace

Traverse City, Michigan – August 11, 2016

The Traverse City Housing Commission has invited Scott Kuefler to carve a riverfront sculpture on its Riverview Terrace property in downtown Traverse City.  He will begin work around noon on Saturday, August 13 and expects to finish on the evening of August 14 – weather permitting.

The artist, Scott Kuefler, is a well-known chainsaw artist, woodcarver, chainsaw sculptor, or tree carver (depending on how you want to describe the activity) from Chesterfield, Michigan who has been professionally active since 2001.  He is an award-winning national and international competitor having competed across the United States (from Michigan to Florida) and as far away as Japan.  Some of his work can be viewed on his website:  www.carvingsbyscott.com

The tree was removed to make room for the Uptown Riverfront condos in 2014 but TCHC immediately searched for an artist with the ability to deliver an ornate riverfront sculpture.  After a long search and interview process, Scott Kuefler was selected to create a yet to be revealed sculpture of an animal, bird, or fish along the Boardman River.


Housing Choice Voucher Wait List OPEN


announces the opening of the


This Federal Program offers rental assistance to qualified applicants in Grand Traverse, Leelanau, Antrim, Benzie, Kalkaska and Wexford counties.  Proof of residency in the six county area will be required when your name is drawn from the wait list.

The wait list will be open for new applicants

Monday, June 20, 2016 at 9:00 a.m. through

August 31, 2016 at 4:00 p.m.

Applications will be available for print on this website

and/or for pick up in our office

beginning June 20th at 9:00 am

at 150 Pine Street, Traverse City

from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Mon – Thurs

List Open for NED Voucher

The Non-Elderly Disabled voucher wait list is open

Eligibility for Wait-list:  Head of Household must be residing in a Care Facility (Nursing home, AFC home, hospital, etc.,) more than 90 days (current) and must be under 62 years of age and a disabled individual. With the assistance of Northern Health Care Management applicants are transitioned from the Care Facility into independent living.

Applications are available at the Traverse City Housing Commission office, 150 Pine Street, Traverse City between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday, or by calling (231)922-4915.